vw crafter

Discussion, questions and answers about vehicles - bikes, cars and vans.

vw crafter

Postby kenny mcdowell » Thursday 16 December 2010, 18:19

Hi guys can any one give any info on vw crafters.Any good?
Ive been trying to find a sprinter luton low miles but they are hard to find at a good price.
I no were there is a couple of crafters lutons that could be cheap but I might be better of waiting for a sprinter as I no they are OK.Are the crafters as good as the sprinter?..
kenny mcdowell

Re: vw crafter

Postby RLT » Thursday 16 December 2010, 19:05

kenny mcdowell wrote:Hi guys can any one give any info on vw crafters.Any good?
Ive been trying to find a sprinter luton low miles but they are hard to find at a good price.
I no were there is a couple of crafters lutons that could be cheap but I might be better of waiting for a sprinter as I no they are OK.Are the crafters as good as the sprinter?..

subjective. what suits one wil not always suit another. I dont think Mercs are any good!
vw & merc are almost the same, apart from the badge. There are other Lutons. Transits and Iveco for example. Why not rent one and see what you like best?
RLT

Re: vw crafter

Postby kenny mcdowell » Thursday 16 December 2010, 19:23

675 wrote:
kenny mcdowell wrote:Hi guys can any one give any info on vw crafters.Any good?

subjective. what suits one wil not always suit another. I dont think Mercs are any good!
vw & merc are almost the same, apart from the badge. There are other Lutons. Transits and Iveco for example. Why not rent one and see what you like best?
Thanks for the reply.There's quite e few negatives on this forum for the Iveco..
kenny mcdowell

Postby Les Redford » Friday 17 December 2010, 11:54

I was told by an ex VW salesman of a regeneration problem with the Crafter whereby the sump oil level rises above maximum particularly on short stop/start journeys causing the warning light to come on.

Another thing to consider is that the Crafter runs the Adblue system which adds 35-70k to the weight (i.e. less payload) which needs topping up every now and then (free at VW dealers) which, if the level drops too low will drop the the engine power to 75%. VW claim that fuel consumption is up to 7% better with the Adblue system and puts the engine in Euro V rating.

One more thing if comparing a Crafter to a Sprinter is the Crafter has a cambelt, which will need replacing regularly whereas the Sprinter has a chain which doesn't.

I looked very closely at both recently and to be honest there's not a lot to choose between them. I went for the Sprinter mainly because I got a much better deal - 311 CDi LWB 09 plate (reg 01/03/09) 11,500 miles, immaculate condition, years tax, new rear tyres for £15,500 whereas trying to find a sensibly priced s/h low mileage good condition Crafter was like trying to find rocking horse poo.
Les Redford

Postby ray valentine » Friday 17 December 2010, 22:31

I think i have said this before.Sprinters Rust!
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans.
Temperature Controlled Courier.
ray valentine

Postby maverick » Friday 17 December 2010, 22:37

ray valentine wrote:I think i have said this before.Sprinters Rust!

not if they are cleaned and looked after properly :roll:
Loadandgo Light Haulage
Uk & Europe
www.loadandgohaulage.com
maverick

Postby kenny mcdowell » Friday 17 December 2010, 22:43

Les Redford wrote:I was told by an ex VW salesman of a regeneration problem with the Crafter whereby the sump oil level rises above maximum particularly on short stop/start journeys causing the warning light to come on.

Another thing to consider is that the Crafter runs the Adblue system which adds 35-70k to the weight (i.e. less payload) which needs topping up every now and then (free at VW dealers) which, if the level drops too low will drop the the engine power to 75%. VW claim that fuel consumption is up to 7% better with the Adblue system and puts the engine in Euro V rating.

One more thing if comparing a Crafter to a Sprinter is the Crafter has a cambelt, which will need replacing regularly whereas the Sprinter has a chain which doesn't.

I looked very closely at both recently and to be honest there's not a lot to choose between them. I went for the Sprinter mainly because I got a much better deal - 311 CDi LWB 09 plate (reg 01/03/09) 11,500 miles, immaculate condition, years tax, new rear tyres for £15,500 whereas trying to find a sensibly priced s/h low mileage good condition Crafter was like trying to find rocking horse poo.
I didnt no the Crafter only had a cambelt. Im more for the sprinter now Ill just have to dig a bit deeper in me pockets.You cant find new shape lutons at a good price they are makeing top money even in auction..
kenny mcdowell

Postby ray valentine » Friday 17 December 2010, 22:49

You would think, my sprinter (white), was kept clean and did not have a scratch or dent on it, but after just a few months it had little spots of rust all over, some may have been stone chips, most were not. The reason i am told is not all panels are dipped before painting, but VW dip theirs. The bonnet was covered in stone chips but had no rust (dipped), the rear doors had no stone chips but lots of rust.
If you buy a Sprinter don't buy a white one they are the worse than the blue yellow and green ones.
The Sprinter proved to be a reliable van, but i will not pay £21,000 for a van to see it rust away in front of my eyes. And they are to heavy now.
ray valentine

Postby Les Redford » Saturday 18 December 2010, 00:25

Was your Sprinter still under warranty Ray? My mate's had a checkover just before the 3 year warranty ran out and they agreed to replace 6 panels on the van because of some relatively minor spots of rust.
Les Redford

Postby ray valentine » Saturday 18 December 2010, 14:40

The rust started to show when it was about 8 months old, they resprayed some areas, but they dint want to know about the rest, i remind the sales man of this every time i speak to him.
ray valentine

Postby bradley jones » Saturday 18 December 2010, 15:49

11,500 miles, immaculate condition, years tax, new rear tyres for

Thats had a hard life if its had to have rear tyres @ that mileage unless it had two blow outs of course ?
bradley jones

Postby Les Redford » Saturday 18 December 2010, 17:54

No, they were only half worn at most but the salesman decided it would be best with new ones. I wasn't going to argue especially as he put M+S tyres on. I guess he didn't want to lose the sale?

The van shows no signs of having been abused anywhere and drives like a dream.
Les Redford

Postby bradley jones » Saturday 18 December 2010, 20:42

You had a result then. The tyres are quite expensive think cheapest i got was £90 each and they were Handkooks.
bradley jones

Postby russell » Sunday 19 December 2010, 07:00

DPF problems,
EGR valve cokes up and is one piece with throttle body so probably very expensive, took mine of and cleaned it about 5mm of black gunge, noticed the intake manifold was the same but too much of a job too take off.
some develop a loud intermittent tapping noise from engine which i believe is the push-rod to the vacuum pump.

mine had pin head sized rust spots all over it, constant job to polish them out. just above rear lights in the seam that is filled with sealer on side of van is a common rust problem, i would think water runs down from roof behind sealer.

mine was 2500kg with half tank fuel, hatcher bunks and ply lining not including driver as i was in the weigh bridge office.

until mine kept going into limp mode (again common i believe) i loved it,
it was great to drive long distance.

nearly forgot the main problem with it......NO ARM REST :lol:
i would only have another if it had a good warranty
elphicks courier service
lwb vw crafter 163,
tranny luton,partner.
07946 380941
russell

Postby bradley jones » Sunday 19 December 2010, 10:38

russell wrote:DPF problems,
EGR valve cokes up and is one piece with throttle body so probably very expensive, took mine of and cleaned it about 5mm of black gunge, noticed the intake manifold was the same but too much of a job too take off.
some develop a loud intermittent tapping noise from engine which i believe is the push-rod to the vacuum pump.

mine had pin head sized rust spots all over it, constant job to polish them out. just above rear lights in the seam that is filled with sealer on side of van is a common rust problem, i would think water runs down from roof behind sealer.

mine was 2500kg with half tank fuel, hatcher bunks and ply lining not including driver as i was in the weigh bridge office.

In other words you would be a lot better off buying a Transit Jumbo !
bradley jones

Postby ray valentine » Sunday 19 December 2010, 11:48

Mine had 210,000 miles, and i had replace the front discs and pad and one set of tyres. Good reliable, van, but needed total respray.
ray valentine

Postby kenny mcdowell » Sunday 19 December 2010, 14:10

russell wrote:DPF problems,

Thanks Russell for all the info arm rests and comforts would have to be important as I'm use to my comfort's my last ride was high top SCANIA.They are marvelous 15 hour drive no problem..
kenny mcdowell

Postby kenny mcdowell » Sunday 19 December 2010, 18:47

Hi Bradley once upon a time Transits were excellent they would go for ever. But all the comments Ive herd while ive been on the road the new ones are supposed to be poo.Injector problems, pumps packing in, the new engines are supposed to nothing to what they use to be.They might be better on fuel.But with all the bad comments ive heard its put me of them.I would like to hear if any one on the forum disagrees with all the bad feed back ive had on them.
As I'm looking for a luton if I get a sprinter I'm only getting half of the rust problems (cab).
kenny mcdowell

Postby bradley jones » Sunday 19 December 2010, 18:57

kenny mcdowell wrote:Hi Bradley once upon a time Transits were excellent they would go for ever. But all the comments Ive herd while ive been on the road the new ones are supposed to be poo.Injector problems, pumps packing in, the new engines are supposed to nothing to what they use to be.They might be better on fuel.But with all the bad comments ive heard its put me of them.I would like to hear if any one on the forum disagrees with all the bad feed back ive had on them.
As I'm looking for a luton if I get a sprinter I'm only getting half of the rust problems (cab).

weve got 2 ones on 180k other on 60k only problems have been a egr valve on the high mileage one.Think your getting confused with the Sprinter regarding injectors & pumps problems. weve also got a 59 euro5 Sprinter thats on 140k & has been spot on except a throttle body failure. At the end of the day the Merc does 450 miles to a tank against 590+ for the Transit (NORMAL DRIVING) & the Transits got a 350kg payload advantage (jumbo140 v 313 4mtre merc) but if you breakdown on a sunday afternoon in deepest europe id choose the merc everytime :lol:
bradley jones

Postby kenny mcdowell » Sunday 19 December 2010, 19:25

bradley jones wrote:
kenny mcdowell wrote:Hi Bradley once upon a time Transits were excellent they would go for ever. But all the comments Ive herd while ive been on the road the new ones are supposed to be poo.Injector problems, pumps packing in, the new engines are supposed to nothing to what they use to be.They might be better on fuel.But with all the bad comments ive heard its put me of them.I would like to hear if any one on the forum disagrees with all the bad feed back ive had on them.

weve got 2 ones on 180k other on 60k only problems have been a egr valve on the high mileage one.Think your getting confused with the Sprinter regarding injectors & pumps problems. weve also got a 59 euro5 Sprinter thats on 140k & has been spot on except a throttle body failure. At the end of the day the Merc does 450 miles to a tank against 590+ for the Transit (NORMAL DRIVING) & the Transits got a 350kg payload advantage (jumbo140 v 313 4mtre merc) but if you breakdown on a sunday afternoon in deepest europe id choose the merc everytime :lol:
Hi Bradley thanks for all the info.It was the transits I had been told that were prone to injector and pump problems.I agree sprinters are bullet proof.
kenny mcdowell

Postby russell » Friday 31 December 2010, 13:50

kenny mcdowell wrote:Thanks Russell for all the info arm rests and comforts would have to be important as I'm use to my comfort's my last ride was high top SCANIA.They are marvelous 15 hour drive no problem..
me too xmas eve to be exactImage
elphicks courier service
lwb vw crafter 163,
tranny luton,partner.
07946 380941
russell

Postby kenny mcdowell » Friday 31 December 2010, 14:46

As many lights as that means you must be an owner driver.
They are unbelievable wagons Ive had 3 from new in the last 9 years with the company I still currently work for (on the sick) the doc has pulled me of the road so im having to set up as self employed.I was looking at 07 sprinter luton yesterday nice but cant make my mind up as yet what to do..
kenny mcdowell

Next

Return to Wheel nuts