Another scam

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Another scam

Postby rhubarb » Tuesday 6 October 2009, 10:54

Got a call a few days ago, from a company in Eastbourne called Ariel Freight, although I have found out that they are trading under a different but similar name!

They wanted an instant collection of a pallet(600kgs) to go to Fareham.

I couldn't do it there and then, and he wanted an idea of my prices and what vehicles I was running..

Said he'd phone me back to arrange a meeting, also mentioned he was running 15 vans :roll: I haven't received another call from them..

After a bit of digging, I found out they'd been dissolved 3 years ago, and his office was a private house, and his unit is occupied by an IT firm..

[faqtag ariel]
Last edited by rhubarb on Tuesday 6 October 2009, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
rhubarb

Postby ian » Tuesday 6 October 2009, 16:13

the countries full of scammers. its upto the courier to be wise enough to click before they rip him off :roll:
http://www.courierworld.co.uk
A real couriers forum
ian

Postby Rwill » Tuesday 6 October 2009, 17:04

May not be a full blown scam as such - just a man doing a bit of local market research to find out who does what and how much they charge. Dont we all have our own way of finding these things out -far better than coming on here and asking How much do I charge for a small van. You can often spot them a mile off and its fun quoting them 10p a mile or £10 a mile and saying you only work for cash or you can get three tonnes in a berlingo. Its even funnier when they then come on here and moan about these things.
Rwill

Postby rhubarb » Tuesday 6 October 2009, 19:56

Rwill wrote:May not be a full blown scam as such - just a man doing a bit of local market research to find out who does what and how much they charge. Dont we all have our own way of finding these things out -far better than coming on here and asking How much do I charge for a small van. You can often spot them a mile off and its fun quoting them 10p a mile or £10 a mile and saying you only work for cash or you can get three tonnes in a berlingo. Its even funnier when they then come on here and moan about these things.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, not everyone has the time to do some research..

The worrying thing was, he wanted me to do a job straight away, obviously I wasn't going to get paid..
rhubarb

Postby Bill Jamieson » Tuesday 6 October 2009, 22:01

Rwill wrote:May not be a full blown scam as such - just a man doing a bit of local market research to find out who does what and how much they charge. Dont we all have our own way of finding these things out -far better than coming on here and asking How much do I charge for a small van. You can often spot them a mile off and its fun quoting them 10p a mile or £10 a mile and saying you only work for cash or you can get three tonnes in a berlingo. Its even funnier when they then come on here and moan about these things.

Do you put the passenger seat down in the Berlingo for that?
:lol:
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.
Bill Jamieson

Postby Express_Europe » Wednesday 7 October 2009, 06:31

Well done for being cautious !

At first i thought "benefit of the doubt" it could be someone trying to get back on their feet after failing and using the clout the company used to have ie name, fleet etc etc (everyones entitled to try again) but then the right thing to do is to not associate yourself with the old failed company so.....

Yeah i reckon you wouldnt have got paid :roll:

Best way to get rid of these numpties is PAYMENT UP FRONT PLEASE,

No ? ok see ya.... (dialing tone) :lol:
Express_Europe

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 8 October 2009, 17:31

i haven't come across any scammers yet but thanks for the information.

I guess it is important at times to google a company or check their details with companies before accepting work.

I also use a software called CreditFocus from barclays to check credit rating of clients.It works perfectly.Anyone here used it before?
Anonymous

Postby Hitman84 » Friday 9 October 2009, 00:08

mikencube wrote:i haven't come across any scammers yet but thanks for the information.

I guess it is important at times to google a company or check their details with companies before accepting work.

I also use a software called CreditFocus from barclays to check credit rating of clients.It works perfectly.Anyone here used it before?

Didnt think it was any good for me, when checking status of my customers, one of them who pays on time, every time had a poorer rating than a customer who pays, but late by few weeks every time but yet their credit score on the system is good.

I always find, a little background info on the client useful, google as mentioned previously is always a great source of info
Hitman84

Postby Noble Express Couriers » Friday 9 October 2009, 07:39

Yeah I use that, its a handy bit of software.

I had exactly the same thing - I would get an email saying a customers credit rating had deteriorated yet get paid on time, yet the bigger companies whos credit rating was through the roof were always late.

Its also handy to check that a company exists as it gives you company reg number etc, payment history etc.
I Used To Run A Courier Company. Now I Sell Tyres...The Best Thing I Ever Did.
http://www.entyrety.com
(Sorry if thats against the rules mods!!)
Noble Express Couriers

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to The interchange