Been made part of a scam !! Beware

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Been made part of a scam !! Beware

Postby dave creek » Saturday 15 August 2009, 21:38

Well I had the owner of a tool hire firm call me to confirm where I delivered goods picked up from them on behalf of a local builder customer of theirs.
Turns out someone had used this building firms account to book out goods, no problem, then called me to arrange cash delivery. I collected goods as promised and delivered as promised and a £10 tip for being so efficient! When the building firm were invoiced they denied ever having the gear !! so someone scammed the hire firm simply by using a reputable firms account. Got away with £5grands worth of gear, I was none the wiser and to be fair the hire firm should have confirmed the order etc, but now police involved and taking up time and effort to help them. Luckily I left business cards with hire firm so they tracked me down, 2 heavies came to the house assuming I was part of the scam, My wife really needed that! fortunately my reputation is still in tact lol nothing could have been done on my behalf to avoid this as I checked builders were legit thru website, so be aware and get firms to double double check builders orders whom you dont know.
sorry its long winded but worth letting you all know.

[faqtag caught up in a scam]
dave creek

Postby bramble43 » Saturday 15 August 2009, 21:52

This happens, usually plumbers, builders ordering stuff through local plumb centre or similar.
Scammers just phone local supplier and order on account of big firm who are almost gauranteed to have account there and courier will pick up as needed quickly.
And on it goes
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Express_Europe » Sunday 16 August 2009, 17:56

I know this can be done anywhere but there seems to be a pattern, ordering the goods from a supplier miles away to be delivered miles in the opposite direction ie Ordered from builders merchants in say Liverpool to be delivered to a site in say Essex...

Like you say Bramble "and so it goes on" :roll:

(Sorry to hear you got dragged into it)
Express_Europe

Postby Bob Johnson » Sunday 16 August 2009, 21:16

To be honest, we have had one and I was very very dubious, was collection from Rothwell PTS, delivery to London to an Essex based heating contractor :?

It was actually a fully legit job in the end
Bob Johnson

Postby MK BIKER » Saturday 22 August 2009, 14:28

bramble43 wrote:This happens, usually plumbers, builders ordering stuff through local plumb centre or similar.
Scammers just phone local supplier and order on account of big firm who are almost gauranteed to have account there and courier will pick up as needed quickly.
And on it goes

BINGO, happened to me at the local plumb centre, account manager spotted the unusual large order before I left wi it............

anything like that again I google the company get the LISTED phone number and give em a call
MK BIKER

Postby Anonymous » Saturday 22 August 2009, 14:40

Thanks Dave...

Hope it all works out for you!
Anonymous

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to The interchange