IMPORTANT SCAM ALERT

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

IMPORTANT SCAM ALERT

Postby MK BIKER » Monday 22 October 2007, 01:19

Postal Scam

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery
Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at

[faqtag premium rate scam]
MK BIKER

Postby Anonymous » Monday 22 October 2007, 08:52

This urban myth does the rounds almost every year. It has no foundation whatsoever as the maximum amount you can be charged per minute on a premium rate call is £1.50 pm.

However ICTSIS did indeed close a company down who were operating this type of scam a number of years ago, but again it was nowhere near £15 just for dialling the number and getting through.

If in doubt on this type of spoof email remember GIYF.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Monday 22 October 2007, 10:40

£15 a minute eh?Brilliant - Excuse me I am just off too Prontoprint to get some post cards printed!!
Anonymous

Postby Mike George » Monday 22 October 2007, 17:07

I think the £15 idea might have come from a similar story, which is probably untrue:

A courier turns up and says he's got a package for Mr Jenkins, the receptionist doesn't know anything about it, so the courier asks to use the phone to call the office. After a few minutes on the phone they say thev've got the wrong address and disappear. They have actually been calling a premium rate number, which they get the money from.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Anonymous » Monday 22 October 2007, 18:07

there are certain offshore numbers with big fees, £15 sounds right, when the 0898 lines got warned off services cropped up in barbados at the like.

kerching!
Anonymous

Postby Carnal Ray » Tuesday 23 October 2007, 10:26

On the subject of scams, I have been warned about another. The warning came from a couple of companies that I deal with in my other line of work (selling lingerie and adult novelties from my website). This scam may be targetted at online retailers rather than couriers (but you never know)

The scam comes in the form of a letter you may recieve in the post, regarding registering your company with the data protection act. It is worded in a way that makes it sound mandatory that you must register your company with this "official agency". They will charge you just £145 for registering with them (bargin). Dont be fooled.

The scammers may not target couriers (yet) but thought I would post the info I have here as if it saves somebody being ripped off, then it was worth me posting it. :wave:
Carnal Ray

Postby MK BIKER » Tuesday 23 October 2007, 12:06

Carnal Ray wrote:On the subject of scams, I have been warned about another. The warning came from a couple of companies that I deal with in my other line of work (selling lingerie and adult novelties from my website). This scam may be targetted at online retailers rather than couriers (but you never know)

The scam comes in the form of a letter you may recieve in the post, regarding registering your company with the data protection act. It is worded in a way that makes it sound mandatory that you must register your company with this "official agency". They will charge you just £145 for registering with them (bargin). Dont be fooled.

The scammers may not target couriers (yet) but thought I would post the info I have here as if it saves somebody being ripped off, then it was worth me posting it. :wave:

HAD THAT ONE WENT STRAIGHT IN THE BIN!
I didnt realise it was a scam at first but at the time I thought if they want my money they will have to try harder than that!!
MK BIKER

Postby Chase_Express » Tuesday 23 October 2007, 20:36

Mike George wrote:I think the £15 idea might have come from a similar story, which is probably untrue:

A courier turns up and says he's got a package for Mr Jenkins, the receptionist doesn't know anything about it, so the courier asks to use the phone to call the office. After a few minutes on the phone they say thev've got the wrong address and disappear. They have actually been calling a premium rate number, which they get the money from.

I've seen that scam on a programme called The Real Hustle.
Chase Express Couriers - Vauxhall Combo
Tel: Leigh 07961 741850.
Chase_Express

Return to The interchange