Multidrop Route Planning Software

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Multidrop Route Planning Software

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 4 July 2007, 17:36

Can anyone suggest some good software for planning multidrop deliveries?

I've got AA Route Planner 2007 which looks great for planning a single journey but it has some problems when it comes to journeys with multiple destinations.

Have a look at the itinery for the journey on the left. There's no button to automatically organise the drops into the most logical order.

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x246/PhotobucketAccountUK/itinery.jpg"width="500">

It would make sense to organise the drops yourself by manually moving the drops up or down in the list as neccessary, grouping them by post code. This can be done (with some difficulty). Unfortunately the post code for each drop does not display unless you mouse over the relevant address which makes the process a bit of a grind.

I also don't like the fact that none of the little balloons on the map have any labels on them saying which address in the itinery they relate to.

Is there any software out there that will organise multi stop journeys into the most logical order and/or has a clear interface to allow you to do it yourself manually?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 4 July 2007, 18:48

Microsoft Autoroute 2007. Worth every penny (very unusal for MS, I know)
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 4 July 2007, 19:01

CCL wrote:Microsoft Autoroute 2007. Worth every penny (very unusal for MS, I know)

Did not cost Me a Penny :D
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 4 July 2007, 19:06

Does that have street level mapping and "auto drop ordering" if I can call it that?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 4 July 2007, 19:35

YES. Just punch in all the postcodes, hit the optomise button, job done.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 4 July 2007, 21:12

and of course, you can add a gps mouse (on a lead or bluetooth via dongle) and it will work as a satnav too

[img]http://www.mobilelaptopmount.com/pic/pics/chevastrovan1.jpg"width="500">
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 5 July 2007, 00:27

Looks nice - love the full screen moving map display.

I just bought a copy with the USB GPS device. There's a laptop mount coming in the post too lol.

I've got a dedicated Garmin GPS already though - looks like dead money now, unless I just use Autoroute for multidrop delivery planning and full screen moving map with the route programmed into the Garmin GPS with it (the Garmin) providing en-route navigational instructions...

Here's hoping all this technology can make up for inexperience :?

Autoroute 2007 gets a pretty lousy review by most people on that rain forest web site though.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 5 July 2007, 07:12

The 2005/2006 versions were useless with many many postcode errors.

The 2007 version is back to being a very useful tool and on its own or combined with an up to date sat nav is very handy to have.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 5 July 2007, 12:30

Mapoint worked well for me if you can get the softwear
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 5 July 2007, 17:20

Autoroute :wink:
tweecy :oops:
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 5 July 2007, 17:48

OI STEVE OOW YOU CALLING A DONGLE....... :D
Anonymous

Get a free Giffgaff Sim with £5 free credit