What the average weekly wage is for owner/drivers

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Average wage for owner/drivers

below £200 per week
11%
£201-300 per week
13%
£301-400 per week
23%
£401-500 per week
22%
£501-600 per week
9%
£601-700 per week
4%
£701+ per week
18%

Total votes : 127

What the average weekly wage is for owner/drivers

Postby Anonymous » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 11:27

After youve paiud your fuel etc what is your average weekly wage before taxk and NI for ownerr drivers, Im just starting out and wondering out of curiosity how much I can expect to earn once I become established
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 22:16

Ok, I gotta ask, who posted the £601 - £700 vote??????

I need some advice from you!
Anonymous

Postby kezz » Tuesday 31 January 2006, 22:22

Not me honest.

I have done that a few times but not on a normal week.

Kezz

[faqtag average weekly wage]
kezz

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 11:47

Doesn't go high enough........!!!! i wish.

Its a bit sketchy to put an average down, because it varies week to week. But if you really are hooked on a weekly wage figure / hourly rate etc, then you'll worry too much.

Look at each month as it comes. 1 quiet day doesnt hurt (like today), over a month. But if you keep figuring you should be on x amount per hour and no one calls so youre not - it might become a bit stressfull.

When i was cabbying, most the time you were earning less than the minimum wage. But then a couple of decent jobs came in and youre easily doing £20 p hour. Its the same in this game.

Last week i spent all wednesday waiting for something to happen. At 17:00 i got a sameday to leeds before 21:00 - suddenly it was a good days money.
Anonymous

Postby Mike George » Friday 3 February 2006, 07:33

I suggest the results of this poll are a bit dodgy.

If you're making an average of £600-£700 a week, after paying fuel, running costs, van rental or depreciation, insurance premiums, site subscriptions, subby invoices/employee wages, etc, you must be invoicing an average of, say, £1500 a week.

So to make up for the quiet times and dead times, holidays and bank holidays etc, you'd have to be regularly invoicing about £2,500 a week in the busy times.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby kezz » Friday 3 February 2006, 10:23

£961 was the most i think i did in a week, and i remember saying never again.

And if people are doing what mike says above as an O/D then i wonder who will die first?

The van or the person.

It's nice to earn good money, but to kill yourself while your doing it...well.

A few years ago before getting my own pub i was on 40k a year.

MMmmm good money. a bit stressful, being told what to do all time, having to hot budgets.

On the Millenium NYE, out of 64 managed houses, we came in at no 2. We worked hard, had a good time, and enjoyed it.

We got just short of a Grand in our pocket as a well done. We took this money and took all the staff out for a meal, pub crawl and onto a club.

Then after we sat down and said, yeah it's good money but it's not ours.

That's when we went on our own.

Now we're not making 40k a year. acctually we're making next to nothing, but we've started on our own and soon will be moving on and up.

And what the hell i'm going on about i havn't got a clue. Maybe i'm bored or summet.

silly hell, I should write a book of my life story and try and bore people that way.

So if your the kind of people who reads the punchline first, then.

Don't bother reading whats above, coz it.s not on topic, and why the hell i was telling you that i don't know.

But seeing as i've typed all that rubbish, i'm not going to delete it coz it would've been a waste of time.

I know it was a waste of time but, hey.

Anyway, i'll slip quietly out of the bottom of this page and maybe knowone will have noticed anything.

Geezzz i need a transplant, Doh!

&K£e*z"z@

In disguise
kezz

Postby Anonymous » Friday 3 February 2006, 10:42

I thought it was a beautiful stream of conciousness piece of literature. Up there with James Joyce's "The Dubliners".

ANY how, i reckon Kezz unknowingly is right. I doubt i could turn over a grand a week on my own. Itd kill me if i did. My maximum jobs per day i can fit in (and arrange around customers) is 5 maximum. Not because of me, but because of them......"IT has to be there by 6" is a common quip despite it being 4 already and ive got 20 miles to do from South to North London.

Therefore with customers having this lax attitude to time and geography - if i had to fit in more customers id die from the panic to get items delivered on time.

However there is another way...........if we all put our prices up by say 500% earning a grand may not be that hard in a week.........
Anonymous

Postby A KIRK » Friday 3 February 2006, 11:05

It is possible but only if your very lucky and never sleep. I've invoiced almost £600 for one day once, but it was a 20 hour day a few good part loads and back loads on top, but its very rare that it happens, as then withthat week I had a day and a half of no work,

Ok if your lucky to have lots of work your subbing out, then yes that figure is easy enough to make.
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby Anonymous » Friday 3 February 2006, 12:26

Oh No, I saw a book that said I can earn £250 a day, worramigonnadonow? :shock:

I know where Kez is coming from. I have just left the high flying corporate world where the basic was £36k but, the job was killing me and I dont NEED £36k.

By using /offering technical swaps/installation I'm hoping to add value to my service and therfore increase my earning potential. I fully believe I have discovered a niche in the Construction market, I just need the niche to discover me :lol:

Seriously though, I took a load to Folkstone last Tuesday for £300. got paid £500 to spend 1&1/2 days installing and then drove back. All the time hoping for a back load. That didnt happen but might of at a better time of year. Hotels all paid for as well.

Now I know I am lucky to have A) a trade behind me b) Good contacts from old job but, what I am suggesting is that with a little thought, you may realise that you could offer the client more than driving. I know from past experience that just getting matrials somewhere quickly is only part of the job. You have to also get manpower there. Anway, this is taking up to much of your time as most wont be interested but if you are interested, take a look at my website and see if you can develop your idea further.

Just trying to give back something after many months of taking from this site :wink:
Anonymous

Postby kezz » Friday 3 February 2006, 21:05

Thanks guys for not slatting me.

B4 i went off on a tangent

What i was trying to say is....

Is money everything?

I gave up 40k to earn next to nothing.

But it's mine.

I stopped the diving lark, for 2 reaons. I big reason which a couple of you knwo.

And the other reason.

It ws silly killing me.

Yes i can brag that I was busy, which makes me feel guilty when I keep reading that people are struggling.

I had loadsa money in the bank which I blew on silly things. I'm no good with money.

But it's money I don't need.

I'd rather be happy, than drop dead and leave a loada money in the bank.

Go on and work. But don't kill yourself.

I'm sure AK would like to earn that money everyday. But if it was there would he do it. (himself)

I very much doupt.

Kezz
kezz

Postby Anonymous » Friday 3 February 2006, 21:25

Its why i do it. sure id like to have my own firm one day, but i believe that if you do 9-5 doing something you hate just for cash you waste, then one day.......and it happens to us all, you'll sit there and realise youve wasted a lot of your life.

I make the money i need, do easily the best hours ever and do it whilst enjoying what i do, seeing my family grow up AND wander around doing "stuff" i want to. People call it lazy. I once had a 21 year old in my cab (bearing in mind i was only 23) and he was saying:

"Wouldnt you rather work like a b*tch for 5 years, earn 100k and then stop as opposed to drive for a living."

My answer was simple: If i was made to work hard for 5 years id be asking more than 100k.

Afterall, after 5 years i might be a stammering gibbering wreck what with all the stress......and then the best thing i could spend my 100k on is a sexy nurse!!!!

Its each to their own, but im sure i'll have more fun and time for people if im relaxed and happy, rater than stressed but rich.

(See now you've hot me rambling Kezz......... :oops: :oops: )
Anonymous

Postby RCD UK » Monday 17 September 2007, 09:28

I'm glad this topic has cropped up again, as it's serves as a useful reminder to interested parties how much they would need to turn over on average to earn a decent living.

If you think turning over £500 a week is going to earn you a good living - think again friend!

For a large van, aim for more than double that.

Remember too: on average per week.
Simon Howes (DGSA) RCD UK (Leics.) +44 (0)797 363 5377 http://www.rcduk.com LEICESTER GB
Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor / External consulting - ADR Hazardous including Class 7 Radioactives
Exhibition & I.T. Installations, all supported to Gold Standard.
RCD UK

Postby Anonymous » Monday 17 September 2007, 15:07

best ever day £1400 (and no runs over 150 miles loaded)

but i had quite a few subbies out inc a 7.5tonner

its a damn good part-time job i reckon, lol
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Monday 17 September 2007, 21:31

As a relative new comer (Started Jan 07). I'd say you need a lot of luck if you're to make this business pay.
I dropped lucky I have been picking up plenty of regular work from a company that pays me 14 days in arrears. Without jeopardising this core earner, I've started picking up jobs from CX (this costs me just under a tenner a week).
Over the last 6 weeks I've also secured a regular contract through contacts in my former employer and as I say I've been very fortunate.
as for turn over first 30 weeks of the year I averaged £680 a week which I think clears me £450 before tax.
Last 10 weeks my core source of income has dropped but with the other sources I've been averaging around £820 which I think clears me about £520.
If I was to offer any advise it would be that you really need to enjoy driving. Don't expect regular hours Some days its just a couple of hours and the next its a 15 hour day. If you agreed to do a job make sure you do it and keep the guys your working for informed on pick up, delivery and if any rubbish happens in between.
As I said earlier in this post you need a lot of luck and a bit of common sense to make it pay.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Monday 17 September 2007, 23:41

When I originally voted in this poll, I proudly checked the box that reflected a £400 pw income. Having only been in business for three months at the time, I felt I was doing alright. 19 months on, my business is virtually unrecognisable. I have gone 'Limited', I have a small team of owner/drivers who work with me and my turnover and earnings are considerably higher than when I voted.

Having been a member on here for almost 2 years, one thing I know is that I have been very lucky to get the opportunities that have come my way. That said, I know I have worked hard to make the most of those opportunities.

I have also learned that there is no such thing as a typical owner/driver - they come in many varieties. Including those that are happy just to make a couple of hundred quid a week and avoid the hassle of customers/working late/working weekends. There are also those who will moan about having very little work but do next to nothing to gain more and, sadly, there are those who are pepared to bust a gut to be sucessful but just don't get the breaks.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Monday 1 October 2007, 22:44

hhhhhmmmmm toughie...my mrs earns ove 35k a year,5 weeks holiday,medical ins.....me not that much...no holiday pay...no medical....i think id rather stay with a job that paid this much...ok i have done 5 k a month but the stress was massive covering job findind subbys...so now...i just do it myself......hay its gonna kill me with a cheek heart attack cuz its so stress full having your own clients........ :evil:
Anonymous

Postby Frankus » Friday 16 November 2007, 11:09

Van du blanc wrote:When I originally voted in this poll, I proudly checked the box that reflected a £400 pw income. Having only been in business for three months at the time, I felt I was doing alright. 19 months on, my business is virtually unrecognisable. I have gone 'Limited', I have a small team of owner/drivers who work with me and my turnover and earnings are considerably higher than when I voted.

Having been a member on here for almost 2 years, one thing I know is that I have been very lucky to get the opportunities that have come my way. That said, I know I have worked hard to make the most of those opportunities.

I have also learned that there is no such thing as a typical owner/driver - they come in many varieties. Including those that are happy just to make a couple of hundred quid a week and avoid the hassle of customers/working late/working weekends. There are also those who will moan about having very little work but do next to nothing to gain more and, sadly, there are those who are pepared to bust a gut to be sucessful but just don't get the breaks.

Hey Van (hope you don't mind me calling you that).

Great to hear a success story like yours, long may it continue for you.

I am about to start courier work, based in Daventry. If you get any work for me I'd be grateful.
Frankus

Postby Digby » Friday 16 November 2007, 13:21

kezz wrote:What i was trying to say is....

Is money everything?

Yes i can brag that I was busy, which makes me feel guilty when I keep reading that people are struggling.

I had loadsa money in the bank which I blew on silly things. I'm no good with money.

But it's money I don't need.

I'd rather be happy, than drop dead and leave a loada money in the bank.

Go on and work. But don't kill yourself.

Kezz

Im still an employed driver and the reason I am here is that I am slowly killing myself so looking for an easier life.

Money isn't everything as was proved to me in February. My Brother who had built up a very successful business over 30 years employing over 30 people, he rode a Ducati 999 and just bought a new MV Augusta. He played golf 2 or 3 times a week and had tickets to fly to Whistler skiing in his pocket when he died. :cry:

He was fit as a fiddle to look at him, but he never had time to visit the doctor, he didnt think he needed to either.

Pete was 50 in January
Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”
Digby

Postby RCD UK » Thursday 22 November 2007, 17:30

Mike George wrote:...you must be invoicing an average of, say, £1500 a week.

So to make up for the quiet times and dead times, holidays and bank holidays etc, you'd have to be regularly invoicing about £2,500 a week in the busy times.

I'm glad you've posted those figures Mike.

That's what you need to be turning over to make a good living in this game.

It's time people realised turning over £500 a week won't make them rich.

Simon
Last edited by RCD UK on Thursday 22 November 2007, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Howes (DGSA) RCD UK (Leics.) +44 (0)797 363 5377 http://www.rcduk.com LEICESTER GB
Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor / External consulting - ADR Hazardous including Class 7 Radioactives
RCD UK

Postby Mike George » Thursday 22 November 2007, 17:37

I've been blowing the same trumpet for years now Simon, but I think people would rather believe the £250-a-day manuals.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 22 November 2007, 19:33

Mike George wrote:I've been blowing the same trumpet for years now Simon, but I think people would rather believe the £250-a-day manuals.

i hope they do..............lol :wink:
Anonymous

Postby RCD UK » Thursday 22 November 2007, 20:24

Mike George wrote:...you must be invoicing an average of, say, £1500 a week.

Let it be spelt out again!
RCD UK

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to Random Banter