DPD owner driver franchise

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

DPD owner driver franchise

Postby RICHARD » Friday 6 January 2012, 13:31

hi all I have been reading up on afew dpd posts about franchise owner driving but most of them are from a few years ago and wanted to know if anybody worked for them in the cardiff or swansea depot recently. I seen an ad on a job website about becoming a owner driver franchise seeing as im out of work now since christmas I thought it would have been worth a look. any advise would be great seeing as i am desperate for work
RICHARD

Re: DPD owner driver franchise

Postby Rwill » Friday 6 January 2012, 21:06

Surely this thread has all the answers you need and its two months old:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9147
Rwill

Postby slim » Friday 6 January 2012, 22:11

Further to that thread, which incidentally is as concise an answer as you'll get on this forum because ymwoods, the main contributor, has been honest in his assessment.

I have never been a DPD driver but multidrop, for me, has worked well, although I have rarely worked for the overnighters. The principles though have always been the same.

Routes become available for many reasons but its very normal for the insiders to gravitate to the best routes and noobs to pick up the poorer ones which are left over. Sometimes routes are split and naturally the incumbent driver will take the better part. So luck plays a big part at the outset.

If you are youngish, fit and enjoy living where you will be working and don't intend to move away I would suggest it can be worth doing. Simply because whatever you learn will stand you in good stead.

Take heed of his comment regarding the difficult start. This is a job that requires much more effort in the beginning. So many don't last a week.

It is perfectly possible to acquire extra work within the area you have (if it isn't too small). Target the regulars and tell them your area. It's slow at first but over time you can build some nice extras into your route. It tends to work best in areas that have a particular trade dominating as several businesses rely on each other, these are the ones to target. This way you are quite possibly going to both places as part of your normal working day, extra dosh, for doing virtually nothing. I know of drivers who have built extra work into their routes very successfully. Work smart.
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.
slim

Postby Addams UK » Saturday 7 January 2012, 23:16

I'm an ODF for DPD, it works for me, i subbed for them for 10 years before taking the plunge and becoming an ODF.
As mentioned already, the first few weeks on a new route are the hardest, but if you know your hometown area, you shouldn't struggle too much, once you know your route, it's a doddle, you'll be delivering to the same places day in day out.
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
CPC National and International.
'59 Plate LWB Sprinter Full courier ins, GiT £50,000, P/L - £5M.
Addams UK

Postby RICHARD » Sunday 8 January 2012, 22:42

the only thing is I havent got any experiance in this business the nearest thing to experiance for multi drop is delivering chinese food around a four mile radius :lol: do u think its guna be worth putting in 1300 quid into somthing I have never done but very eger to learn. How many miles do you roughly do per day I know it depends on what route you have because I think I have read on here its an £8.50 fine once you go over a hundred miles bet they make a killing on that :lol: any advise on what would be the best to do would be great :eyebrow: thanks in advance RICHARD
RICHARD

Postby Addams UK » Sunday 8 January 2012, 22:59

no, they dont fine you if you go over 100 miles, your blue-print will take the mileage of the route into account, then they add a bit more on to cover travelling to/from work, unexpected mileage etc, if you decide to use the van privately, you may well use more mileage than has been built into your blue-print, so may incur an excess mileage penalty, similar to what you would with a hire van etc. most people i know are sensible with their private use, so dont incur the penalty.

Or do as i did - provide your own van, what you do with it is up to you then, you're not liable to DPD for any excess charges.
Addams UK

Postby Addams UK » Sunday 8 January 2012, 23:12

my route is very small compared to others, it's predominantly business orientated, i do one sub-postcode (part of a Postcode) it's the retail/industrial part of Croydon (Purley Way) i do between 70 and 100 drops a day, deliveries and collections, some routes are up to 150 drops per day, but what i dont do in the number of drops, i make up for in the amount of parcels i deliver, sometimes over 200 per day, and last friday i also had 5 pallets too, most days i do two runs, as you can see - i cant get it all in my van in one trip, so two or three trips are normal for me, but as i'm right on the depots doorstep, it's no big deal.
Addams UK

Postby slim » Sunday 8 January 2012, 23:26

Out of interest, have you always had that run from day one, or got it by earning it 'doing time'...for want of a better phrase. Your miles covered are on the deck, nice one.

Depot politics can be a right pain, reckon your player with that route :winkx:
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.
slim

Postby RICHARD » Sunday 8 January 2012, 23:41

if you only have one route for the time that you are with the company do you need experiance or learn as you are going along or run around like a loony allday untill you get used to it lol sorry about all the silly questions what about a van what would be best for insurance purposes or would it be better to lease one off dpd just to see how things turn out
RICHARD

Postby slim » Sunday 8 January 2012, 23:48

Richard go get an employed job as a multidropper learn the game at someone else 's expense... if you hate it nothing wasted but a few weeks of your life. You will hate it I guarantee it....it depends if you can work out the long game to your advantage. Nothing comes easy.

By the way......breathe.
slim

Postby Addams UK » Sunday 8 January 2012, 23:49

i'd subbed for them for so long, i've done practically every route in the depot at one time or another, including central London when our depot covered it, i was looking at taking a franchise anyway, and the driver who was on my route was 'released from his contract', so i was put on it as temporary cover until they got a replacement, i looked into it, what the earnings potential was, and if i could make a living out of it, i wasn't too sure if i was doing the right thing, but it's worked out well, my earnings are more than i expected, i do put in the hours, so it's just rewards.
Addams UK

Postby RICHARD » Sunday 8 January 2012, 23:53

slim wrote:Richard go get an employed job as a multidropper learn the game at someone else 's expense... if you hate it nothing wasted but a few weeks of your life. You will hate it I guarantee it....it depends if you can work out the long game to your advantage. Nothing comes easy.

By the way......breathe.

:lol: I get what you mean good advise nice one, but most of them jobs require experiance maybe I will get lucky one day :lol:

job wise i mean :lol:
RICHARD

Postby slim » Monday 9 January 2012, 00:06

Fair play. I don't like that phrase 'released from contract, it sounds as if its weighed heavily in their favour. Get the wrong side of someone and your gone. Still it's unlikely that the company will be bought out and integrated, so if you are doing a good job you'll be ok. There is much to be said for a constant stream of income nowadays.

Let's hope they don't strip the rate. Some drivers win a lot of work for their company, especially when it comes to collections, liasing with sales etc. Then management stuff you when your topline takes off. :evil:

Never forget the TNT driver ( covered Croydon area funnily enough!) who drove his Rolls into the work car park one day in the 90's...........his rate was binned the next!
slim

Postby ymwoods » Monday 9 January 2012, 00:12

RICHARD wrote:if you only have one route for the time that you are with the company do you need experiance or learn as you are going along or run around like a loony allday untill you get used to it lol sorry about all the silly questions what about a van what would be best for insurance purposes or would it be better to lease one off dpd just to see how things turn out

You would be set onto one route and you learn it eventually. You will hate it at first and will find yourself dashing about to keep up as you will waste time at each and every slightly hard to find drop but once you get a lay for the land and a knack for the area you will come to know pretty much every house name in your postcode areas and you will end up wishing you could deliver early some days!

If you have no no-claims and are relatively young then getting the van and insurance through DPD will work out a lot cheaper as obviously they are getting some pretty hefty bulk-buy discounts but the freedom of your own van with no mileage charges etc is second to none. Its the cost vs. hassle tbh and whether you would prefer to spend some more money to have less hassle , or have more hassle but walk home with a little more each month.

If you just want to see how things turn out it may be a good idea to ask they if you could do a month on Agency in one of their vans and see what they say, less money, but you could then walk the day you decide its not for you.
ymwoods

Postby ymwoods » Monday 9 January 2012, 00:23

slim wrote:Fair play. I don't like that phrase 'released from contract, it sounds as if its weighed heavily in their favour.

It is, the new trick is a 6 monthly wage negotiation where they see you have sped up and are now able to do X parcels in a day rather than the lower number of Y so they drop the stop rate down so you only earn your 27K a year again even though you (and they) signed a 5 year contract. So bassicly you work your bottom off for 6 months to earn more just for them to drop your rate and then you have to go at the same speed to earn less when you would have been better off lounging about.

The joke of it is that the two ODF's that have refused to sign up to the change of contract at the new rate are being told they will have it forced through somehow...not sure how they are going to manage that unless they pull the trick of saying accept the lower rates or we give you a months notice before we terminate you which im not sure would be entirely legal??

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what happens to these two other ODF's and stashing money away like mad so that if I decide not to take the lower rate in 6 months time and they pull that trick I have the option of getting a van of my own and going into Same-day and making a go of it.

Same-day is what I want to do eventually anyway just it was a bit further down the line on the life plan but then things change...
ymwoods

Postby Addams UK » Friday 13 January 2012, 22:31

slim wrote:I don't like that phrase 'released from contract, it sounds as if its weighed heavily in their favour. Get the wrong side of someone and your gone.

the lad in question was one of those who wanted to finish by 2pm, always rejected any collections, and regularly took mondays or fridays off without getting his route covered, or without phoning in, in the end after untold warnings, he was released from his contract
Addams UK

Postby slim » Saturday 14 January 2012, 04:12

Nothing changes.

Drivers make or break this type of business, but salaried managers just can't handle a subbie on more money than them.
slim

Postby transdirect » Saturday 14 January 2012, 13:19

but dont forget on this kind of thing u can stick in as many vehicles as u want,look at TNT none of there vehicles are owned by TNT,all of the 7.5 tonners are owned by a subby courier company,u get more sway in the company then,when i worked for them there were a few who had more than one van in there on runs ect,the express trucks were owned by 2 brothers,they owned now by a small courier company,so u may get an ofd then work out costs and pay some one to drive the van ect...
transdirect

Postby ymwoods » Sunday 15 January 2012, 22:40

transdirect wrote:but dont forget on this kind of thing u can stick in as many vehicles as u want,look at TNT none of there vehicles are owned by TNT,all of the 7.5 tonners are owned by a subby courier company,u get more sway in the company then,when i worked for them there were a few who had more than one van in there on runs ect,the express trucks were owned by 2 brothers,they owned now by a small courier company,so u may get an ofd then work out costs and pay some one to drive the van ect...

indeed, a few do this but when your employing other drivers you then have to cover your drivers holidays, their sickness and if they have a slow month you still have the same wage to pay out regardless. It's something I will probably do on my route when I go off to do Same-day stuff but probably not something I want to build on as I don't believe the pay-off would be worth the hassle you would need to take on.
ymwoods

Postby Addams UK » Wednesday 18 January 2012, 21:13

but like us franchise drivers, you only get paid for what you deliver, you wouldn't take on subbies on a wage, just what they deliver, likewise, they dont get holiday and sick-pay etc, sure they can take time off, but they wouldn't be paid for it, unless of course you're looking at having employees, then you're liable for their NI Contributions, PAYE etc etc etc.
Addams UK

Postby Bealesy » Wednesday 12 September 2012, 18:47

Hi all intreated in becoming a owner driver franchise with Dpd any (good) advice welcome
On all subjecteds e.g. Van lease cost, income average before and after
Paying bills, what bills to pay ect.
I ask a lot of questions because I am in talks with them now and on verge of doing this but
Would like to here off different drivers please no negative comments I have a family and would
Like to work very hard to provide.
I have a good job now but pay is awful for time away would like to take home for my self after everything around £1500+. Please respond thank you will i will also speak in person if someone can answer my questions (depo is Carlisle)
Bealesy

Postby ymwoods » Wednesday 12 September 2012, 19:11

Addams UK wrote:but like us franchise drivers, you only get paid for what you deliver, you wouldn't take on subbies on a wage, just what they deliver, likewise, they dont get holiday and sick-pay etc, sure they can take time off, but they wouldn't be paid for it, unless of course you're looking at having employees, then you're liable for their NI Contributions, PAYE etc etc etc.

But if I have someone without the benefits of being employed such as Holiday pay etc then where is the benefit in them not just taking the route on themselves at the rate I pay direct from the company (or another one). Esp when they know they could be earning the same plus my 10% cut off the top for doing nothing.
ymwoods

Next

Return to The interchange