Hi All

Introduce yourself here. No advertising or touting.
No questions on this one please!!!

Hi All

Postby TheCarefulCourier » Thursday 12 July 2018, 14:53

Hello everyone,

I'm Alex and I'm an owner driver currently contracted 6 days a week to Yodel.

I've been at this now for about 2 months (so very green), having got rid of my car to buy a van after deliberating on the decision for a while. I did van private hire many years ago and really enjoy getting out and about with the freedom and flexibility self-employment brings.

I'm looking to learn more about the industry and garner hints and tips on turning this venture into a successful career before the missus gets tired and makes me find a proper job! :lol:

As my multi-drop round doesn't take me all day I'm also trying to get local sameday work with a view to moving into it on a more permanent basis. I've joined a few exchanges but so far they seem quiet. I haven't been brave enough to fork out the larger fees required by cx but I've heard it's one of the better ones, with more regular jobs local to my area of Manchester.

Sorry for Rambling. I've never joined a forum so please, if I do something against the rules, just let me know and I'll rectify it for next time. :P

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Alex
TheCarefulCourier

Re: Hi All

Postby EnsonExpress » Friday 13 July 2018, 05:04

I am surprised that Yodel work isn’t keeping you busy all day - sounds unreliable. Normally I would expect you to be struggling to cope with the numbers and working from dawn to dusk. Therefore you’d be unable to take on anything else.

Exchanges jobs require you to be monitoring them constantly, bid early and low (price). If that’s what you are able to do whilst multi-dropping for Yodel, fair enough.

What insurance have you got? For Sameday courier you must have Courier Hire and Reward and Goods in Transit and also Public Liability. Mine, with 10 year’s NCB is around £1,500.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Re: Hi All

Postby TheCarefulCourier » Friday 13 July 2018, 12:50

Hi EnsonExpress,

Thanks for the reply. :)

Because my van technically is classed as a small van, I'm an ODSV neighbourhood driver working quite a small postcode area so it varies between 50 - 80 drops a day. Now I know my round I can smash that out in a few hours which leaves me time for other things. I like the security of a small amount of money each day whilst exploring my options even if it's not a great amount. :)

I've set myself up properly with H+R, GIT (£25K) and PL (£2m). I can tell you that H+R insurance without any no claims is significantly more expensive, with mine costing me £2,500 for the first year which was good in comparison to many other quotes I received (one quoted £60k!!). I thought I'd do it right so that if any opportunities did arise I'd be able to take it on. I'm aware you don't need it for a lot of multi-drop companies as they insure you for your round but as I am hoping to move on eventually I thought it best to get my own.
TheCarefulCourier

Return to Say hello