DPD ODF

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

DPD ODF

Postby albion567 » Tuesday 1 September 2015, 10:53

Dear all

I am currently unhappy in a job that I have been in for 10 years and looking for a change of career. I met a guy on holiday this year that runs his own courier business in the North East of England and I really loved the sound of what he has achieved. He told me that he started as a one man, one van ODF with DPD and he has now grown his business and currently operates with a number of vans and a number of guys working for him.

I decided to look in to the ODF scheme myself and even went as far as having the interview and all but signing on the dotted line before reading a few things on here that put me off.

My main worries were:
1. Going from a full time job (with a £33k salary, holiday pay, sick pay and pension) to being self employed and having none of that security.
2. The guarantee of the work. I do not have any money behind me to fall back on for the first few months should things be quiet starting off.
3. The capping of earnings if you are doing well.

It is something I have not stopped thinking about since stopping with the application process but it is something that I know I can make a go of and be as successful as my mate. I have read many negative posts on here but my mate raves about what he does.

I was looking at joining and working out of Cardiff depot so if there is anyone on here that has gone through the same thoughts as me or works out of Cardiff could you please advise?

Cheers in advance
albion567

Re: DPD ODF

Postby nads » Tuesday 1 September 2015, 12:41

How old are you ?
nads

Postby albion567 » Tuesday 1 September 2015, 12:51

I am 32
albion567

Postby nads » Tuesday 1 September 2015, 17:50

You have age on your side.

I would advise against it but ask to see your mates accounts if he is so sure.

I would doubt 33 k is possible net and its silly hard work. I have done multi drop for a few outfits and I hate it. But that's me. I have a DPD depot on my doorstep and the drivers drive like maniacs and don't look happy to me. The way they cane those sprinters they won't last long.

It works for some apparently , I would draw up a For and against list and see how it stacks up.

Good luck anyway.
nads

Postby Rwill » Tuesday 1 September 2015, 18:45

Like Nads says:

You have £33k a year, 10 years service
Holiday pay
Sick pay
Redundancy provision
Pension with employer contributions
Secure Employment
A 35 hour week
A good Cv
If it goes wrong you can sign on for jobseekers

Versus

Start up capital
Many hours of work including Saturdays
An "employer" whose aim is to minimise his costs maximise his profits without a thought to welfare
No sick pay - and you pay through the nose to cover any sickness
No holiday pay - and ditto
No cover no revenue for the unexpected accident, bad weather.
No real flair you are a servant to the not high calibre local management

I've made up my mind
Rwill

Postby Rwill » Tuesday 1 September 2015, 21:36

Suggestion

Take a weeks paid holiday and go stay with your mate in the North East and offer to work for him on exchange for bed and board and a few beers for the week.

As stated multidrop is like marmite love it or hate it

See the hours, see the company at work and talk to the guys then come home and think a lot more
Rwill

Postby MACK » Wednesday 2 September 2015, 07:01

All the above is the best advice but here is my story

I have had 14 years now in this game I am a sameday O/d sometimes in my paid for Berlingo !!
The rest of the time of offer driver cover to O/Ds and service partners supplying UK mail and FedEx .
I like multi drop yes I enjoy it . However there is no possible way I would ever enter into an O/D position on the parcels and I'm already doing the job !!!! I don't even have a big van .I drive theirs so they can go on holiday . !! Now I charge £110 a day to do this and they have to pay for the fuel and still pay their fixed costs !!! I know I'm charging more than they are actually making !!but I always do a good job as I know our area well and I charge a lot less than the agencies .So they can go on there holidays and not worry but the point is they are still losing money !!
They don't actually make any money when they are busy and none of them last !!! When the companies cant cover they phone me and ask me to cover . I then only do it on my terms they supply a van and fuel and pay my rate .

Point no 2
When you meet people from this industry don't believe a word they tell you , The industry is full of fly by nights and chancers . If you meet a company owner or O/d ask him how things are going . If he answers "Oh steady or quite" he is probably a good guy . If he replies how everything is wonderful then you have just met Billy B@@@@@it !!!!!
I'm not going say anything that is going to get me sued but there is a guy in the South West that is infamous !! He has no money and little hope and still talks a hell of a fight about how good he is !!!!

He has 25 vans !!! Yes he does have 25 vans !! but they are all 20 years old and have spent the last 10 years parked in the brambles rotting from when he did well in th 90s !!! None of them have seen the road since 2003 !!!!!!
Som this what u up against man !!!!! You either go bust lining the pockets of PLC share holders or get ripped of by chancers . If you are good like some the boys on this site you get your own customers but if your asking the sort of questions you are asking you may not have the skills basis to do that
No job to small .........but many too big
MACK

Postby Bob Johnson » Wednesday 2 September 2015, 12:44

Are you on commission for the use of exclamation marks?
Bob Johnson

Postby kramerica » Friday 4 September 2015, 16:10

The negativity of responses makes me laugh.

ANY thread about DPD or other similar OD jobs gets the same reaction. From people who've not done the job and are totally speculating.

Hilarious! A previous poster says.... The DPD drivers 'LOOK' like they're miserable!!.
EVERYONE looks miserable when they're driving

I think you should ignore the negativity and go for it. DPD are probably the most progressive of the big couriers out there and it's hardly a huge risk. I've heard from numerous people that the DPD guys typically earn £40-45k and some make £60-70k. It must be worth a shot if you fancy doing it.

PS: DPD ODs get 2 weeks' paid holiday per year
kramerica

Postby nads » Friday 4 September 2015, 18:21

Like I said check your mates accounts.

Earn or make 45 k, is that net or gross ?

I can take 1100/1200 a week, net is around 600 on that. So not 33 k and that's can take,not will take. Some weeks will be half that.

Yeah give it a go and let us all know about how you are doing, don't worry about your earnings, security, health.
nads

Postby Addams UK » Friday 4 September 2015, 21:01

kramerica wrote:The negativity of responses makes me laugh.

ANY thread about DPD or other similar OD jobs gets the same reaction. From people who've not done the job and are totally speculating.

Hilarious! A previous poster says.... The DPD drivers 'LOOK' like they're miserable!!.

I think you should ignore the negativity and go for it. DPD are probably the most progressive of the big couriers out there and it's hardly a huge risk. I've heard from numerous people that the DPD guys typically earn £40-45k and some make £60-70k. It must be worth a shot if you fancy doing it.

i'm an ex-ODF, and am sitting here laughing at your post, you've 'heard' drivers earn £40-£70k? and you believe that? earnings are capped at around £30k, earn more than that and your route will be cut or your rate cut. 2 weeks paid holiday? in your dreams, yeah, they give you a 2 week service break, but you don't get paid for it.
Any day you can't work, if you can't get your route covered, they'll charge you £150 per day.
If the work is quiet, they'll take work off you to give to their employed drivers, they don't care that you haven't got enough work, that's your problem

this is the voice of experience, not hearsay
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
CPC National and International.
LWB Sprinter Full courier ins, GiT £20,000, P/L - £2M.
Addams UK

Postby IRMA777 » Saturday 5 September 2015, 19:54

Addams UK wrote:
kramerica wrote:The negativity of responses makes me laugh.

i'm an ex-ODF, and am sitting here laughing at your post, you've 'heard' drivers earn £40-£70k? and you believe that? earnings are capped at around £30k, earn more than that and your route will be cut or your rate cut. 2 weeks paid holiday? in your dreams, yeah, they give you a 2 week service break, but you don't get paid for it.
Any day you can't work, if you can't get your route covered, they'll charge you £150 per day.
If the work is quiet, they'll take work off you to give to their employed drivers, they don't care that you haven't got enough work, that's your problem

this is the voice of experience, not hearsay

:yawn: If there is anybody who knows what he is talking about it is our MR Addams...WHO HAS BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT...Read his previous posts.. he says how it is, chapter and verse..
The Figures £40-70k that are being banded about WERE achievable 12 + years ago..
that i can confirm, i had mates in DPD/UK-MAIL/DHL International all making well over £50 K... But i can assure you, them figures are well and truly long gone.
The bean counters moved in long ago and decimated the game... you are better off being EMPLOYED BY THESE COMPANIES NOW..... :lemon:
IRMA777

Postby AjSidneyco.com » Monday 7 September 2015, 14:26

Have not been on here for a while but this post caught my eye.

what can you say about parcels and parcel firms that is positive?
not much really, when we started out in this game we all craved something different but after a couple of years of doing parcels, courier work, removals whatever, what do we yearn for? consistency of work.

we all want what we gave up in the first place and that is a 5 day a week job doing as little as possible for as much as possible........well i do anyway.

you really need to do the maths before entering into a franchise with any of these parcel firms, they appear then disappear or rebrand. and the thought of parting with 30-40-50 k before i have even earnt a penny is absolute madness. how long do you think it would take to recoup that initial outlay?

lets assume you pay your 40k franchise and you have your nice new branded sprinter and you are doing how many miles a year in it 25,000 -50,000 miles a year depending on what route you get. lets assume all the local routes are gone and you get a poo one that racks up 40,000 miles a year.

fuel costs:sprinters do about 27-29mpg around town
insurance for the van: 1000-2000 a year depending on your record
git and public liability insurance:280-300 a year
mobile phone:40 a month
tyres 1-2 sets a year 400-1000 depending on how many sets and brand
servicing costs 50,000 is 2 services thats another 600 - 1000
accountants :600-1200 a year
trolly: 150-200 for a decent magliner one
clothes.....the list goes on

lets assume you manage to do £40k of work in the first year , you still love the job and nobody has stolen your van, your wife has not left you because she never sees you cos your working all hours, dpd haven't moved the goal posts, switched your rounds with the latest new guy and the manager is not asking for back handers if you want to carry on with your doddle 40k a year round.

two weeks into your second year you cop man flu and have to pay someone to drive your van whilst you recover thats another 1500 your down before you start your second year. and that is a clause in any parcel franchise contract!

lets assume you get through to your 4 th year you have more or less recouped your initial outlay and looking at it realistically your clearing about 350-400 a week after you have shelled everything out and you have paid your 5000 a year tax bill and you will need to be paying the revenue upfront on assumed earnings.
after the 4th year you will also need to replace the van (usually 3 year old maximum on franchise) your sick money has gone your pension will take a hit if you don't keep up the payments private health is a thing of the past and your virtually unemployable because being self employed is the equivalent of being unemployed when it comes to a job application back into employed job.

you didn't mention a company car.

i like my job as a van driver but that is only because i learnt the hard way, parcels are rubbish and it is people like yourself retiring or fed up with civi work that is killing this industry stone dead, because these parcel firms have owner drivers and franchise holders by the balls and if 1 man leaves there are another 20 waiting in the wings to learn the hard way.
a few years back i knew 20 people locally i could ring at any time that would jump in a van and go anywhere at anytime. now i only know of 3 that are still doing van work and they are doing parcels trying to get back on their feet because it is consistent.

make of this what you will.

hope this helps
hands up who likes comics?
http://www.webfluid.co.uk
AjSidneyco.com

Postby Addams UK » Tuesday 8 September 2015, 19:42

some valid points there, but the franchise doesn't cost £40k, there is an upfront payment of £1300, £300 of which is for admin costs, uniform etc, the £1000 is kept on account, and returned to you at the end of your franchise contract, subject to any outstanding costs owing, but be advised, if you rent one of their vans, you'll get charged for every little mark etc on the van, even though your van has had a hard working life, with probably 60+k on the clock, they'll expect to get the van back in showroom condition, so that £1000 will be whittled down to next to nothing, or you may even owe them
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
CPC National and International.
LWB Sprinter Full courier ins, GiT £20,000, P/L - £2M.
Addams UK

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to Random Banter